JUNIOR TYPE DESIGN
ta: ramon tejeda
project one: type specimen book
1) first week comp, 9.8, 9.10
2) second week tight comp, 9.15, 9.17
3) third week final 9.22, 9.24
1) choose twelve typefaces not found on your computer
2) design a sixteen page signature using those twelve typefaces
3) print to size (you may choose the size)
1) purchase ellen lupton’s book “thinking with type” and read it!
2) thorough understanding and application of the first two chapters, “letter” and “text” due 9.8, 9.10.
3) here’s a link to some of her students’ projects:
ii. go there. download her students’ pdfs. have a look.
1) design a sixteen page signature using twelve typefaces not found on your computer.
2) choose three serif display faces, three sans serif display faces, three serif text faces, three sans serif text faces.
3) use a text from a short story, part of a novel, long poem, or other text of your choice.
4) set (and kern properly) display faces and text blocks
5) be inventive with the form and binding of your signature
Check out David Barlow's Type Bureau Type Specimen book. Download it for your self and study it!!
Here is a link to THINKING WITH TYPE.
You can buy it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble has it.
GET IT AND READ IT. TAKE NOTES, HIGHLIGHT do whatever you need to do.
Its a great resources.
Here is a link to the website for the book!!!!